A Classroom without Walls!

Think deeply, ask questions, share your ideas, explore the world...

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Great writers paint the setting...

In A Year Down Yonder, Richard Peck does an amazing job of showing the setting to the reader!!!

For example...

We had a stretch of perfect weather, here in the healthiest climate in Illinois. Little red bushes showed down in Grandma's strawberry plants. The hollyhocks were every color. Trees leafed out overnight, and the streets were like tunnels with bright countryside at either end. One magic morning the whole town was scented with lilac.

Let's experiment with showing the setting to the reader!

10 comments:

  1. Little droplets of water misted my face, cooling my red hot cheeks as I stormed off the muddy soccer field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Golden sunlight streamed through my thin, white curtains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cool California wind whipped at my face as I stepped outside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zoe, I LOVE your alliteration...cool California!!!
    Can anyone else use alliteration to their descriptive writing??

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Wet, Blue water fell like a tear ran down my face

    ReplyDelete
  7. The wind struck my face like lightnig struk a tree

    ReplyDelete
  8. The wet, wednesday smells from outside made me feel in Nevis.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In my book Trapped I put.... I had to bundle up because it was 50° outside in New York City!! Please read my book:):):):):)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. the wind whipped across my face as I got ready to shoot.

    ReplyDelete